Associate Director, Finance & Operations
Location: DC Metro Area
Our growing client is seeking a Vice President of Finance who is a forward-looking, strategic leader with executive-level experience in financial management, operations, and oversight. This individual will play a key leadership role on the organization’s management team and will be responsible for evolving and/or developing the organization’s financial policies, reporting processes, systems, and controls, as well as supporting the development and execution of the organization’s long-term strategic vision of scale, and profitability.
This organization offers a full and robust benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Serve as the point person for the organization’s administrative, financial, and operational processes to improve those processes.
- Execute the nonprofit organization’s financial strategy, including developing plans to increase the organization’s financial strength, while also identifying opportunities for cash management.
- Build and design organization’s finance team right finance organization by recruiting, hiring, supervising, and developing all finance personnel (employees and contractors)
- Lead the organization’s financial planning cycles including budgets, ongoing forecasts, and medium-term outlooks, ensure cash flow is appropriate for the organization’s operations; and prepare reliable and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports on actual performance and forecasts, including income, operating expenses, and cash flow.
- Manage all monthly accounting and tax activities.
- Oversee the preparation of all financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, cash flows, shareholder reports, tax returns, governmental agency reports, grants management and reporting, and other ad-hoc financial reporting requirements, including reporting and discussions with the Board of Directors on financial matters.
- Establish and maintain appropriate accounting and financial controls, including processes around review and execution of payments, delegations of authority, commercial contract reviews, and financial & operating policies and procedures.
- Lead the annual audit process, including selecting and maintaining our relationship with the audit firm, and actively resolve audit issues.
- Manage vendor and partner relationships, reviewing contracts and ensuring compliant vendor set-up and payments.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the Senior Executive team and to the Board of Directors.
- Continually evaluate best industry practices in comparison to internal systems and needed resources, with an eye toward both future needs and budget realities
Required Experience & Skills
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance highly preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant designation preferred.
- Eight to ten years of experience in financial management is required.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting.
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development
- Technologically savvy, with experience overseeing information technology teams and/or vendors.
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the Board of Directors or other outside partners/influencers/client.
- The highest caliber decision-making, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate, motivate, and inspire team members with authenticity, vulnerability, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong people skills, demonstrated by a keen ability to get buy-in from stakeholders and drive change.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods and proficient in financial reporting and accounting computer application systems
- An analytical mind and deep comfort with numbers
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment, along with the ability to lead by example.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and react as necessary, incorporating them into the organizational plan.