Location: DC Metro Area
Fully Remote Option Available
3-5 years of experience in the exempt organization field
*Knowledge of tax law, exempt organization law, charitable giving, and estate planning*
The Staff Counsel serves our members and the philanthropic field by providing legal information in response to member inquiries (RFIs), legal research, and consultation on tax, legislative, and regulatory issues. This position also provides education, training, and other services in support of the client’s Legal Resources function and assists in fulfilling the day-to-day corporate counsel requirements typical of a national, nonprofit membership organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Respond to requests for information from current and potential members and other constituents on all areas of foundation operations including but not limited to tax compliance, governance, legislative, and regulatory issues.
- Assist members and staff in understanding emerging issues from the IRS and Treasury that affect Section 501(c)(3) organizations and foundations.
- Maintain expertise on issues of exempt organization law, foundation governance, and state and federal regulations applicable to member organizations and charitable giving.
- Prepare and present webinars, in-person workshops and other educational sessions on behalf of the Legal Resources team and in connection with other departments.
- Speak on legal topics at internal and external meetings convened by the organization, regional grant-maker associations, and professional groups.
- Conduct review of applicant submissions for accreditation/reaccreditation through the National Standards program.
- Research legal topics and drafts materials for publications, newsletters, and website.
- Assist public policy staff with research and preparation of comments related to legislative proposals and changes in tax policy and regulations.
- Track Legal Resources engagement and activities, including member RFIs, in Salesforce.
- Stay informed about activities and work of colleagues to ensure legal issues are addressed as appropriate in curricula and other written materials.
- Assist and consult management and staff on internal legal matters, public policy matters, and transactional matters.
- Contribute to overarching organization goals by participating in cross-functional working groups.
- Author quarterly knowledge-products on contemporary issues affecting the field and assist in creating new chapters for the Compendium of Legal Resources.
- 3-5 years’ experience preferably in the exempt organization field.
- Law degree and admission to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
General Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of tax law, exempt organization law, charitable giving and estate planning.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to listen well and positively represent the organization and its mission.
- The ability to effectively communicate legal issues verbally and in writing.
- Discretion and independent judgment in the responsibilities associated with legal services.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience drafting and reviewing contracts and other complicated and detailed documents.
- Understanding of finance, investments and accounting as related to nonprofit organizations.
- Knowledge and experience with global grantmaking
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to identify and solve problems efficiently and quickly.
- Ability to manage many and/or differing tasks and maintain productivity.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team.
- Ability to work effectively and positively with a range of individuals and working styles, and with people at all organization levels including staff, board members, foundation officers, donors, and vendors.
- Experience with CRM database software, preferably Salesforce.
- Proficient skill in Microsoft Office 365 applications
Please note: This is a remote role with salary adjustments based on geographical locations.