Staff Accountant & Data Analyst
Location: DC Metro Area
Our global, independent campaigning organization is hiring a Staff Accountant & Data Analyst to process financial data and serve as the main point of contact between the Finance Department and staff, assisting, guiding, and training employees in the use of the two legacy Accounts Payable systems, and the Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) system. They processes a high volume of Accounts Payable transactions on a weekly basis on two outsourced platforms, Anybill, and Expense Watch (EW), as well as Payroll and budget data. The Staff Accountant is responsible for facilitating the process, and prepare the data for entry to the accounting system and further analysis.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Manage data entry into Anybill or EW by staff, or directly assist staff with data entry, of all vendor invoices, direct debits, certain internal expense reimbursement reports, advance requests, and Credit Card charges.
- Review all Anybill/EW entries for proper coding, documentation, timeliness, routing, and adherence to financial policies.
- Monitor Anybill and EW to ensure timely processing of vendor payments and employee expense reimbursements, stale check register.
- Administer Anybill and EW focusing on for proper vendor set up and list maintenance, updated approval and authorization routes, and accurate account, cost center, and project code set ups
- Maintain a number of financial databases of Payroll, system users, access rights, workflow routes, and manage system upload and download files
- Collaborate with team members to collect and analyze data
- Support Senior Accountant in the management and administration of the FP&A
- Monitor and analyze data on the activity of projects and support Programs Controller in Fund management.
- Implement and promote financial rules and procedures and train staff on the use of the platforms and proper processes.
- Run status reports on Anybill and EW and communicate instances of delays or other issues
- Run activity reports from the two systems during monthly closing and draft routine general ledger accounting entries including allocations, prepaid expenses, depreciation and accruals.
- Create aging reports for outstanding employee advances and ensure timely reconciliation. Communicate employee advances which exceed policy to Peoples and Culture to begin deduction from payroll.
- Ensure appropriate accounting for sales and use tax.
- Respond to all vendor and employee requests and administer the Finance Request Tracker.
- Manage the timely and accurate collection of W-9 tax records prior to first vendor payment.
- Ensure timely and accurate 1099 reporting at year end.
- Provide regular communication on work flow status to supervisor and any process improvement suggestions.
- Administer the In-House Deposit of incoming checks daily.
- Assist with annual CO2 reporting
- Other duties as assigned by the Controller
- Bachelors degree in accounting, data processing, or related field, with bookkeeping experience is preferred
- 2-3 years experience in Accounting, preference to experience with grants accounting
- Advanced data handling skills, especially pivoting, formatting, analyzing, sorting, filtering, regrouping and recasting financial data
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Advance knowledge of MS Excel, comfort with other data management systems, eg MS Access, Google sheets.
- Highly motivated with a willingness to learn and to work efficiently and independently
- Understanding of accounting rules on restricted funds
- Self starter who takes ownership of all aspects of the role
- Excellent data entry skills with particular attention to accuracy and proficiency
- Detailed-oriented and analytically minded
- Team player with a willingness to perform certain clerical work with a “can do” attitude.
- Experience with Anybill and Expense Watch platforms desired.
- Have a commitment to non-violent direct action, although, we do not require your direct participation in these activities
This organization offers great benefits and salary commensurate with experience.