Location: DC Metro Area
Our non-profit client seeks a Scholarship A/P Accountant. Under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Scholarship A/P Account is responsible for processing grant and scholarship payments.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Process grant payments and higher education scholarship and forgivable loan payments. Work collaboratively with the Finance Manager, Staff Accountant, Program Manager – Scholarship Operations, and Scholarship Administration Associates. Specific duties include:
- Review vouchers for accuracy and compliance with policies and guidelines, audit proposed payment amounts and verify supporting documentation. Resolve errors with Grants and Scholarship Administration departments.
- Import payable information being exported from the scholarship and grants management software to the accounting software (Great Plains Dynamics – GPD).
- Review and ensure the GPD financial database data is accurate, issue checks, initiate ACH payments and foreign currency wire transfers, and reconcile payments with management reports.
- Download financial payment data for import into the scholarship and grant management software.
- Verify grantee charitable status to ensure that payments to grantees are eligible to count towards the Foundation’s payout.
- Process expense reports for Higher Education Scholar and parent travel.
- Support senior Finance staff in documentation of Foundation investments. Collect monthly statements, capital call and distribution notices and other documentation from investment managers, Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO) and custodian (Northern Trust) and maintain organized electronic files.
- Assist Finance Manager and Staff Accountant with internal oversight related to grantee reporting and compliance and grantee audits.
- Provide support during annual audit, budget process and tax preparation as required.
- Provide back-up and support for operational and Young Scholars Program accounts payable functions as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned
- Some college level accounting classes required; bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
- Minimum of five years accounts payable experience.
- Must possess an understanding of databases and be capable of using Microsoft Excel at an advanced level.
- Experience with Great Plains Dynamics accounting system and scholarship administration is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and diverse groups toward accomplishment of shared goals. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate financial information.
- A strong attention to detail and ability to work independently to meet deadlines. Outstanding organizational and problem-solving skills.
- The Foundation follows a 35-hour work week schedule for full-time positions. This position requires additional hours during busy times and/or as needed to meet deadlines.
- A demonstrated commitment to supporting and enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Our client offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package.