Location: DC Metro Area
Our thriving client in Silver Spring, MD, is seeking a Senior Accountant with 5+ years of relevant accounting experience with an emphasis in month end close, general ledger, reconciliation and financial reporting required. Must be proficient in the full-cycle accounting processes.
The mission of this organization is to improve the health of vulnerable individuals and families by building partnerships, and strengthening systems. Their vision is to attain a strong, vibrant community that supports all people in achieving healthy lives.
The Senior Accountant reconciles accounts and prepares monthly preliminary financial statements, including month end close. This position is responsible for monitoring, tracking, reconciliation, and billing for contracts and grants. This positions ensures compliance with federal, state and local government and sponsor/funder regulations and policies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Assist Accounting Manager/Controller with month-end close and balance sheet reconciliations, including monthly bank reconciliations, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Prepaid Expenses, Accrued expense and Fixed Assets.
- Assist with preparation of the required audit schedules for external auditors, county and programmatic annual audits.
- Prepare billing invoices with required documentation and monitor, track, reconcile A/R for the organization’s contracts with government agencies, foundations, and other funding sources.
- Assist Contracts and Payable Administrator in reconciling clinic and grant-related accounts payable vouchers and verify accuracy of General Ledger coding, compliance, documentation and contractual agreements.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and fiscal year-end financial statements for the individual programs/contracts.
- Communicate with program managers, directors, and partner organizations to process month end and year end-close outs.
- Assist in producing organization’s periodic reports as well as requested reports by program managers, directors, and partner organizations.
- Responsible for select monthly and year-end closing Journal Entries.
- Assist in development of the annual budget, working either directly or indirectly with the Controller, leadership, and program managers.
- Serves as backup to the payroll function such as reviewing bi-weekly payroll, 941 reconciliation and in processing payroll.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple tasks independently, work under pressure and meet required deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team and understand basic programmatic components as relates to budget development and management.
- Proven strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with individuals, teams, and committees.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a non-profit environment and AccuFund Accounting Software.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Accounting or related field from accredited university.
- 5+ years of general relevant accounting experience, including 3-5 years of non-profit accounting, with an emphasis in month end close, general ledger, reconciliation and financial reporting required. Must be proficient in the full-cycle accounting processes.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and, specifically, non-profit GAAP.
- Proficiency in Excel and MS Word.
This organization offers excellent benefits and salary. Salary is commensurate with experience.