Senior Major Gifts Officer
Location: DC Metro Area
*This is a remote position*
A nation that enhances children’s well-being, prioritizes the needs of marginalized children and empowers communities to enhance their well-being is the vision of our client. In particular, the organization focuses on serving and advocating for youth and young adults under the age of 25, especially those living in poverty and minorities. If you are looking to make a difference, this is the job for you.
Our client is seeking a seasoned Major Gifts Officer who will help the organization develop a strong pipeline of significant supporters. In addition to reporting to the Director of Advancement & Engagement, the Major Gifts Officer will coordinate with the Institutional Advancement team to manage a regional portfolio of family and individual foundations and to communicate with state office leaders. The candidate should be driven, organized, and able to communicate effectively with a donor-centric approach to closing five to seven-figure gifts.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Managing both renewal gifts and new revenue to achieve ambitious annual fundraising goals
- Maintain a portfolio of individual and family foundation prospects with the capacity to contribute $10,000+ in gifts in support of the organization
- Maintain a relationship record of all interactions with this portfolio of prospects by developing and implementing donor strategies
- Qualify suspects and elevate them to prospect status via research, community networking, small cultivation events, etc.
- Ensure that each major donor and prospect has a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Analyze and predict a donor’s propensity, capacity, and enthusiasm to give
- Communicate with portfolio through face-to-face and virtual cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings, and written vehicles
- Close gifts of $10,000+ toward annual goal
- Provide regular update reports on portfolio pipeline progress
Support to Inderal Stakeholders
- Support state offices to identify, cultivate and solicit major donor prospects
- Optimize opportunities for other existing campaigns and appeals by ensuring strategies are compatible.
- Support the fundraising efforts of the VP, Institutional Advancement and CEO, and campaign volunteers in securing new and renewed gifts
- Provide research/briefing information and support to senior leaders for donor conversations
- Organize cultivation events, stewardship programs, and recognition events in collaboration with the Director of Advancement & Engagement.
- Become an expert in, and make efficient use of, organizational assets for the purpose of effective donor communications and stewardship, using and repurposing available resources and opportunities.
- Execute and report on quarterly/annual fundraising plans, donor solicitations identification, cultivation, campaigns (capital and annual), and stewardship efforts
- Attend internal and external events in service of donor relations
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition and perseverance; reflect an optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to the needs of the donors.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years (direct or equivalent) experience managing high-level donor relationships
- Proven track record of successfully securing five and six-figure gifts.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or RE/NXT database software, Microsoft Office including Word and Excel, and prospect research
- Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with little oversight.
- Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect
- Evaluates progress and success against performance standards. Appraises and resolves deficiencies and challenges.
- Develops a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect between donors and the organization.
- Diplomatically handles challenging or tense interpersonal situations.
- Promotes cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Embraces cultural, ethnic, and gender differences in people. Creates an environment of learning about, valuing, encouraging, and supporting differences
- Passion for the mission and purpose and ability to communicate this passion to others
Type of Work Environment Associated with the Job
- Occasionally, travel may be required
- Occasionally, evenings and weekends may be required
Our client offers an excellent salary and benefits package.