Location: DC Metro Area
**Only candidates local to DC/MD/VA area are being considered at this time**
**Spanish speakers are highly encouraged to apply*
Our client, a highly mission driven non-profit in the DC metro area, is seeking a Legal Director. The organization operates under the principles of Justice is the goal, Law is a means. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. We endeavor to find the most creative strategies to combat the abuses and injustices identified by our constituents. We value justice in the largest sense possible, not only one person at a time legal solutions, but broad, transformative solutions created in combination with immigrant leaders, organizers and other staff, other local and national organizations and direct service staff. We value our time and believe that through hard and sustained effort is often required, real rest is also necessary for creativity, stamina and “a life,” however defined.
Our client is seeking a talented, dynamic and creative leader to join its leadership team. Becoming the Legal Director is an excellent opportunity to develop and lead significant direct legal services, policy and impact work in a creative, progressive, multi-cultural and multi-lingual organization devoted to building power among communities of color and creating positive social change. The Legal Director will play a leading role in local, regional and national efforts put forth by the organization to support working class and immigrant communities through direct legal services and advocacy. The Legal Director will oversee supervising attorneys and staff attorneys assigned to housing, employment and immigration case work, while supporting the advocacy efforts led by the organization’s Organizing and Advocacy Departments. The ideal candidate will have significant direct legal services and management experience preferably in a non-profit working with the immigrant community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as a member of the organization’s Executive Team, actively participating in organizational decision-making and advising Senior Leadership on major issues relevant to your work
- Provide strategic leadership to the Legal Department, including through the preparation, implementation and evaluation of a Departmental Annual Plan and Budget consistent with the organization’s Strategic Plan and Objective Key Results
- Oversee the work of supervising attorneys, staff attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants working in direct services and movement-oriented campaigns in the areas of immigration, employment, housing and civil rights
- Co-counsel cases with supervising attorneys, staff attorneys and pro-bono partners as necessary
- In conjunction with the organization’s Community Organizing and Advocacy departments, oversee the development of social justice campaigns, which may include litigation
- Develop and implement plans to intentionally engage Black and Indigenous communities to expand access to services and integration with the organization’s Community Organizing Department
- Collaborate with other departments and programs to ensure that high quality services are being delivered to ensure that members enjoy an excellent experience with the organization such that they can contribute to building the power of the immigrant community. In particular, the organization expects services and organizing to be delivered in an integrated way.
- Participate actively in the annual planning process, including developing and executing individual workplans and professional development plans for all staff, evaluating and providing feedback on plans as the year progresses
- Meet deadlines established by supervisor and consistent with Departmental and individual workplans
- Hold bi-weekly supervisory meetings with all direct reports, including supervising attorneys
- Conduct annual program and personnel evaluations for the Legal Department
- In collaboration with supervising attorneys and Legal Department staff, prepare reports to funders and other stakeholders
- Assist with fundraising to grow and maintain the Legal Department and the organization
- Facilitate organizational meetings, events, and training participation
- Support the development and expansion of the organization’s membership base
- Facilitate the connection of new members with the Community Organizing Department and other services
- Monitor the proper collection of data among team members and regularly analyze metrics and progress towards key result measures. Utilize data to inform program enhancements to better meet evolving community needs and improve program performance.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience (civil litigation experience is a plus)
- Active license with the Maryland State Bar or the ability to be admitted immediately
- Spanish speakers are highly encouraged to apply
Our client offers a competitive salary and benefits package.