Location: DC Metro Area
Our client, a dynamic and growing non-profit organization, is seeking a Grant Writer to join its Arlington, VA office. Our client is an innovative professional association committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity, access, and equity. They are an equal opportunity employer and encourage professionals of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The Grant Writer will develop grant proposals, letters of intent (LOI’s), and other communications materials that explain the foundation program efforts. The Grant Writer will also be responsible for extensive multi-sector prospect research to identify the best program funder alignments and will be able to communicate these findings in an annual funder prospect calendar. The writer will work with program teams to define their grant development plans, align these plans with funder focal areas, and support the full writing, submission, and reporting process necessary to secure and manage grant funding. This role will also work to ensure that clear and consistent communications materials are developed to explain grant program development efforts, as well as showcase short, intermediate, and long-term impacts to internal and external audiences.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Develop and submit at least 12 grant proposals, letters of intent (LOI’s), and other communications materials annually that explain and showcase program efforts, development stages, impact and outcome for both internal and external audiences.
- Research prospects that align with program and organizational development efforts. Review and consider all previous prospect research in GrantHub, Relationship Science and other software and organizational documents.
- Develop an annual grant calendar that includes at least 12 funders per year for each program and share monthly updates with leadership on prospect and proposal development and funds acquired.
- Define best process for building relationships with funders that do not allow unsolicited engagements, train and guide teams and leadership on process for outreach and getting an opportunity to apply based on alignment. Follow up and make sure prospects have been contacted, meetings have been scheduled as needed and any documents requested have been received to support full proposal submission.
- Closely collaborate with program staff on a weekly basis to ensure proposal and program communications materials are up to date and cohesive with other materials in development and in line with other organizational development initiatives.
- Ensure that a detailed and researched emphasis on Diversity and Inclusion is core to all proposal development efforts.
- Initiate and set quarterly goals for prospect identification and proposal development that align with organization’s strategic objectives
- Create budgets and budget forecasts plans for all proposal development efforts
- Ensure all documents are gathered and appropriately entered funder systems for full proposal on-time submission as planned in the annual prospect calendar
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required, and a minimum of eight years of proposal development and management experience (health and non-profit related sector experience preferred but not required).
- Previous grant proposal development and management experience is required (ideally in a health and non-profit related sector)
- Experience coordinating grants, working with funders to acquire funding, conducting prospect research, and working across teams to manage program funding is required
- Experience developing high level program communications materials for internal and external audiences
- Experience with proposal writing, review and editing more than $1M
- Public Health program experience is highly desired
- Experience working with cross organizational teams, and leading teams through the proposal development process is highly desired
- Experience with Project management & program development software a plus
Required Skills and Qualities
- Demonstrated success in writing proposals, letters of intent and program communications materials
- Demonstrated skills conducting funder research and defining audience needs
- Demonstrated success in acquiring funding for program development
- Demonstrated success in working with teams, as well as working independently to produce high quality funder research and written materials
- Meticulous writer and editor, with an extremely high level of attention to detail
- Excellent and proven research skills that supports the prospect and writing process
- Self-starter who independently seeks answers, and takes initiative without excessive direction
- Clear written and verbal communication skills, and timely response to daily team communications.
- Proven ability to learn quickly and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, enjoys working with dynamic and growing teams
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint
The client is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status. We also welcome those of all abilities and make reasonable accommodations to support successful outcomes for our team members.
Our client has a mandatory vaccine policy in place as a condition of employment (applicable accommodations apply) and all offers of employment are contingent upon a successful background check.
The organization has a highly competitive total compensation package, offers flexible work arrangements and our organizational culture is highly rated by staff. This is currently a remote role and will have telework options when the office re-opens. The new office is located two blocks from the metro and has a free gym onsite for all employees.