Director of Programs
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client, a dynamic and growing non-profit organization, is seeking a Director of Programs to join its Arlington, VA office. The Director of Programs will oversee the successful designing, building and implementation of existing and new programs. The Director will also work to ensure that clear and consistent communications materials are developed to explain program development efforts, as well as showcase short, intermediate, and long-term impacts to internal and external audiences. The Director of Programs will be a cultivator of champions for all program efforts and will act as a liaison to internal committees and external advisory councils to ensure that program efforts match long term organizational goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Oversee all program development efforts. Including but not limited to the implementation of 5-year scalable recruitment and mentorship program plan, implementation timeline, and cost structure that supports the vision and mission; and a research home program concept for organization-related researchers.
- Develop an active timeline for all stages of program research, development and delivery, and inform/update Foundation leadership on stages in weekly and monthly progress reports and presentations.
- Ensure program implementation occurs efficiently and as planned on the ground by travelling to partner sites, meeting with key partners, creating program champions, developing and signing MOU’s, and other tasks as planned that ensure all needs are met for successful program implementation.
- Develop communications materials that explain and showcase program efforts, development stages, impact and outcome for both internal and external audiences.
- Review and edit proposals for philanthropic and corporate funding support for all program development efforts.
- Coordinate with Deputy ED to ensure all program development materials support the acquisition of funds to advance program funding
- Ensure that a detailed and researched emphasis on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is core to all program development efforts.
- Closely collaborate with other program staff to ensure integration of these programs with other program and organizational development initiatives.
- Create and oversee recruitment advisory committees. Restructure and oversee mentorship committee, and support research committee as needed and defined. Provide structure and receive feedback on all program development needs, and shepherd committees to support all planned program advancement.
- Initiate and set goals for programs based on the organization’s strategic objectives
- Create budgets, budget forecasts and operational plans for all program development efforts
- Some travel is required to attend donor engagement events and program development sites is as a component of this position (up to 25%).
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in related field required, and a minimum of 15-20 years of program development experience (ideally in a health and non-profit related sector)
- Previous program development and design experience is required (ideally in a health and non-profit related sector)
- Experience leading Councils, Committees and Volunteer Workgroups required
- Experience developing high level program communications materials for internal and external audiences
- Experience with funding proposal review and editing in excess of $1M
- Workforce, Diversity, Recruitment and/or Mentorship program development experience is highly desired
- Experience working with and leading cross organizational teams, and leading large planning sessions
- Experience with Project management & program development software a plus
- Demonstrated success in building programs
- Demonstrated success in overseeing, motivating, and leading a team
- Demonstrated success in acquiring funding for program development
- Clear written and verbal communication skills, and timely response to daily team communications.
- Proven ability to learn quickly and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Excellent and proven research skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, enjoys working with dynamic and growing teams
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint
The organization has a highly competitive total compensation package, offers flexible work arrangements and our organizational culture is highly rated by staff. This is currently a remote role and will have telework options when the office re-opens. The new office is located two blocks from the metro and has a free gym onsite for all employees.