Director of Major Gifts
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client is a dynamic and growing organization looking for a Director of Major Gifts. This is an exciting opportunity to work with an organization that provides assistance to those in need. They provide hope to millions of people a year, regardless of their background. If you are interested in working for an organization that is making a difference in the lives of others, this is the perfect position for you. This organization offers a a competitive salary and and excellent benefits package.
The Director of Major Gifts is responsible for cultivating relationships with and managing the stewardship of decision-makers at foundations, gift officers within corporations, and ultra-high net worth individuals that are all capable of making principal gifts for current use, as well as deferred gifts to benefit the ministry of the organization.
The Director of Major Gifts is involved in a full range of duties while working with other Development Department staff to ensure that gifts for current operations, as well as designated gifts specifically for strategic purposes.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Identify and implement a strategy that secures new revenue to support the annual operations of the National Office
- To secure large multi-year commitments, develop a communication plan that builds relationships with stakeholders. This includes various forms of outreach: phone calls, personal visits and highly customized correspondence – including customized proposals.
- Develop prospect pipelines of individuals, foundations, and corporations capable of making major gifts using all research platforms available. To secure major gifts, these individuals must have qualified interests in similar causes or projects.
- Identify prospects for increased giving and candidates for clients’ Giving Circles & Societies by working with the Development Department’s database administrators.
- Make requests for significant gifts from prospects (including high-net-worth individuals, philanthropic foundations, and corporations).
- Work in a concerted effort with Development Department’s Leadership to cultivate donors to consider establishing DAF accounts or making planned gifts to the organization.
- Prospects should receive highly personalized gift proposals, with pre-solicitation and follow-up strategies that reflect that personalization.
- Develop gift proposals for high-net-worth individuals, corporations, and foundations requesting multi-year pledges to support strategic priorities and programs.
- Maintain timely correspondence and acknowledge department policies in a timely manner.
- Provide regular updates on prospecting efforts to secure new donors for the Organization.
- Maintain accurate records of all contact with donors and prospects in the database in accordance with the organization’s established policies and procedures.
- Ensure donors receive consistent communication and appropriate, timely information by utilizing available resources, informational materials, and creative assets.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Passionate about the mission and able to interact effectively with stakeholders.
- Experience in securing large gifts.
- Engages others effectively and builds relationships by listening well.
- An understanding of fundraising principles, including recognized best practices.
- An outgoing personality that is friendly to a wide range of constituents
- Continual desire to grow professionally and broaden horizons.
- Ensure that existing donors are satisfied.
- Ability to work with prestigious and influential individuals.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, creative, and ever-changing environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Very well organized and focused, and extremely disciplined.
- Keep up to date with charitable giving trends.
- Adaptability to different donor markets
- Interactions with different levels of stakeholders are part of the position
- Working collaboratively and independently while meeting deadlines is essential.
- Maintaining the highest ethical standards when communicating with external stakeholders.
- Competent in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to segment data concisely through excellent analytical skills.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and discretion in matters pertaining to donors and the organization.
Education & Experience Requirements
Combination of education and experience to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years experience in fund development
- Experience being a member of an effective fundraising team.
- Relational database experience preferred.
- Passionate team player, capable of multitasking in a fast-paced environment, with a high energy level.