Chief Program Officer
Location: DC Metro Area
Our dynamic client is seeking a strong programmatic leader to serve as the Chief Program Officer (CPO). This person will lead innovative high-quality programming for approximately 5,000 youth and families across DC, Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties. The CPO will view young people as assets and actively seek youth and community input to guide programming and empower youth as they lead approximately 54 programs in the areas of housing, foster care, mental health and substance use disorder treatment, community wellness and education. They value diversity as a strength, with 85% of our staff identifying as people of color.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
Program Development and Strategic Leadership
- Contribute to and drive the achievement of the organization’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization in a way that aligns with the mission and values of the organization.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership to the program teams, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs.
- Support the development of program models, ensuring alignment with positive youth development values, sustainability and positive impact
- Identify opportunities to leverage cross-program and cross-geographic strengths to take advantage of new initiatives and to address organizational challenges.
- Advise the President/CEO and other key members of senior management on all programmatic issues.
- Support program directors in ensuring program goals align with organizational goals (goals cascade). Quality Program Delivery
- Ensure high quality program design using data to improve programs, assess the need for new initiatives or the time to discontinue programs
- Build a culture of continuous improvement using data and support collaboration between program teams and the Learning and Evaluation Department.
- Support effective compliance with grant and contract requirements and program deliverables
- Ensure synergy and fidelity to the model between similar programs serving different jurisdictions within the organization.
Team Development and Leadership
- Mentor and develop program directors using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals and collaborate with HR efforts to ensure that equitable salaries are in place.
- Ensure staff receive timely and appropriate professional development.
- Lead an investment in the growth and professional development of program staff; create a pipeline of leaders.
Budget and Compliance
- Review and approve annual operational budget with CSO and CFO.
- Ensure that program directors manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Ensure program directors effectively monitor and enforce compliance with various funder requirements. Board Relationship
- Serve as the programmatic liaison to the board; effectively communicate and present policy and programmatic matters at select board of directors and committee meetings. Development
- Support the grants team in the grants application process which may include writing and editing proposals.
- Support the development team in fundraising goals, which may include presenting to donors, and supporting yearly events.
- Manage and cultivate relationships with national funders and external partners regarding program needs, effectiveness and strategy. External Relationships
- Advise on advocacy efforts.
- Partner with the CEO to represent the organization with external constituency groups, especially national stakeholders and funders (e.g., national foundations and advocacy groups).
Education & Experience Requirements
- Master’s degree in public policy, social work, nonprofit management or similar field and at least ten years of nonprofit management experience.
- Previous experience in a senior or C-level leadership role with a demonstrated ability to manage the programming of a complex community-based, youth-serving nonprofit.
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving meaningful outcomes.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to lead, inspire, and develop a high-functioning team.
- High level of integrity and sound judgment.
- Confidence paired with humility and a willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves.”
- Knowledge of education and youth development, and of the nonprofit and political landscape in the Washington metro area preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Complete criminal and child abuse/neglect clearances.
COVID-19 vaccine required of all its employees. Proof of vaccination at the time of your interview and at your onboarding.
This organization offers excellent benefits and compensation package. The salary range for this position is $120,000 – $140,000, depending on skills and experience.