Assistant Programs Controller
Location: DC Metro Area
Our global, independent campaigning organization is hiring a Assistant Controller for Programs. This position is the perfect opportunity for an experienced Accounting and Grants professional who is looking to join a mission driven organization and to make an impact. The Programs Controller will be responsible for the accounting, planning, reporting and monitoring of all programmatic projects and grants with the organization, comprised of two separate legal entities – a 501(c)(4) organization and a 501(c)(3) organization, with a combined annual gross budget of approximately $60 million.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
Projects Financial Management and Compliance
- Primarily responsible for maintaining the arganizations’ net assets schedule, monitoring, updating and reporting on restricted net assets (“Funding Model”) on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- In coordination with programmatic staff, support the budgeting, forecasting, monitoring and reporting of projects and functional units leveraging the capabilities of the Organization’s Financial Planning and Analysis system.
- Oversee the funding and spending of projects during the planning and performance phases.
- Perform financial analysis and summarize year over year and budget to actual variances of projects, units and departments.
- Manage the tracking and allocation of expenditures, especially the budgeting and monitoring of staff and indirect costs allocations across projects and units.
- Support Program Department’s leadership with insightful financial analyses and reports.
- Facilitate the monthly reconciliation of receivable and payable balances and prepare any necessary adjusting journal entries.
- Liaise with staff upon the direction of the Director of Finance, to respond to inquiries surrounding reporting.
- Facilitate the creation and modification of new financial reports using FinPlan, the Financial Planning and Analysis system.
- Prepare all grant, net asset, and restriction releases related schedules for annual audit requirements and complete other duties related to the annual audit, as needed.
- Perform other special projects as requested by the Director of Finance.
Maintenance of the Grant Tracking and Funding Process
- Primarily responsible for coordinating with programmatic and development staff to ensure all grant transactions are accurately reflected in the accounting system and all grant budgets and financial expenditure reports are completed timely.
- Work directly with Development and Program managers to ensure compliance with all grants restrictions and the grant policies. This includes generating recommendations for improvements in programmatic and fiscal operations and greater operating efficiencies in the business processes.
- Prepare and/or process grant budgets and expenditure reports in accordance with Funding Management guidelines.
- Coordinate with Development and Governance liaison to ensure timely presentation of grants to the Fund Board and timely distribution of grants after approval.
- Manage the post award grant accounting life cycle, including but not limited to: as necessary, establishing a new cost center and budget in the accounting system; training the program manager on grant procedures and compliance; and performing compliance analysis of allowable grant expenditures.
- Prepare the financial information related to reporting to the Fund Board for all funding.
- Provide oversight to grants management function including budget development, contracting, reporting/monitoring and grants receivable and payable management.
- Complete expenditure reports for donor reporting and any special reports as requested by Development, the Program Managers and/or the Controller.
- Review monthly financial statements for all grants or activities supported by grants to ensure expenses are appropriate.
- Create the journal entries to record the various grant transactions through the general ledger
- Reconcile the grant liabilities and grant receivables on a monthly basis and ensure proper coding of grant revenue and grant expense to applicable cost centers.
- Maintain complete and accurate electronic and hard copy files for all grant transactions.
- Train program managers on their fiscal responsibilities for any grants they administer or oversee.
- Bachelor of Science in accounting or equivalent, CPA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the nonprofit space, and specifically 501(c)(3)s.
- Experience with large grants/awards, and project accounting.
- Must be able to successfully build relationships and have keen interpersonal skills. This includes being an excellent listener, approachable and customer service oriented.
- Proficiency in Excel is required with an ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets.
- Skills with handling high volume of financial data, and familiarity with financial information management systems
- Strong analytical skills with a proactive problem-solving approach.
- Experience with grant reporting and administration of restricted funds is required.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi task in a fast paced and deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work independently, conduct process reviews, and reengineer processes to meet project goals and objectives.
- A strong attention to detail and willingness to support the Finance team in delivering high quality reporting.
- High level of integrity with a professional attitude in all dealings.
This organization offers great benefits and salary commensurate with experience.