Location: DC Metro Area
Our well established non-profit client is seeking an Assistant Controller who will be primarily responsible for ensuring day-to-day accounting/finance functions are timely, accurately and efficiently executed. The Assistant Controller supports the Controller in audit preparation, organizational filings and compliance (990, property tax returns, etc.), budget preparation and periodic review. This role will also work to ensure that grant accounting guidelines and compliance parameters are met. The Assistant Controller must maintain current knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) pronouncements and coordinate with the Controller on change implementation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
Primary Accounting/Finance Duties
- Work directly with the Controller to manage day-to-day accounting/finance functions.
- Manage annual assurance and single audits for efficient and timely completion.
- Ensure all general ledger accounts are reconciled timely to support monthly financial reporting.
- Provide support to the grant management function, including budget development, contracting, reporting, and monitoring grant draw downs and payable management.
- Review monthly financial statements and provide a narrative on key variances.
- Support the Controller and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in the development of annual budget.
- Ensure GAAP compliance for accounting activities and provide process improvements where needed.
- Support the planning, development, implementation, budgeting, and maintenance of department functions.
- Administer and manage policies, standards, practices, and security measures to assure effective and consistent department operations.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, mentor, evaluate and develop assigned Associates according to organization’s policies and procedures, ensuring the overall smooth functioning of the department, and consulting appropriate Human Resources staff as indicated.
- Provide guidance and direction for development of all assigned Associates to improve the overall professionalism of the department and the support provided to the organization.
- Plan and support the continual upgrading of equipment and procedures to maintain pace with technological progress, economic change, and business needs.
- Perform standard administrative and supervisory administrative duties including: weekly scheduling, timesheets, expense reports, etc.
Monthly Close/Financial Reporting Duties
- Provide information to the leadership team for financial analysis and dashboard reporting.
- Maintain and update the chart of accounts as necessary within the accounting system and all systems used for financial transactions. Create new financial reports as required.
- Maintain the accounting policies and procedures manual.
- Serve as the liaison with Business Technology and third-party providers to ensure enterprise resource planning (ERP) and integrated systems are in sync.
Finance/Accounting Team Support Duties
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of internal and external compliance topics and requirements.
- Respond to external auditor inquiries and provide schedules, research, and data as required.
- Prepare records, schedules, and reports as requested by Accounting/Finance leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting required. Master’s degree in business discipline preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in progressively responsible accounting roles.
- Must have demonstrated financial accounting experience in medium to large non-profit organizations preferred.
- Previous experience in financial accounting for public companies a plus.
- Knowledge of GAAP and the ability to maintain compliance preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint) required.
- Experience in ERP systems a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills, and the ability to prioritize effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Position may require travel up to 5% of the time.
This role offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package.