Location: DC Metro Area
*This is a remote role requiring employees to live in the DC/MD/VA area*
Our non-profit client seeks an organized, responsible, focused, and detail orientated Accounting Manager. The Accounting Manager position reports to the Controller. This position is responsible for the management of daily and monthly financial transactions ledgers of the organization and its affiliate entities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Accounting Manager is also responsible for preparing financial statements and other management reports for review by the Controller. This position will also be responsible for the supervision of work performed by other Finance and Accounting colleagues. The Accounting Manager will display a clear willingness to learn and apply Racial Equity & Inclusion (REI) history and concepts.
This organization offers a full and robust benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Manage all areas of finance and accounting functions and activities as identified in the fiscal management workplan. Specific areas are General & Administrative Functions, Accounts Payable & Expenses – to include notes payable, Accounts Receivable & Revenue–to include notes receivable and equity investments, Payroll & Related Functions, Monthly & Year-End Close, Annual Filings & Reporting, Systems & Process training for new hires, other areas as identified.
- Maintain general ledger and subsidiary ledgers; identify and draft journal entries as needed, including cost allocations
- Comply with all internal control procedures in the policies and procedures manual in daily financial operations.
- Review bank reconciliations for all accounts in accordance with the policies and procedures manual; identify adjusting journal entries.
- Analyze and reconcile all general ledger accounts and ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Review Associate Accountants’ work and provide guidance as needed.
- Plan and conduct all monthly and annual-closing activities, including account analysis and producing the first draft of the monthly financial reports.
- Perform detailed review and sign-off of accounts payable vouchers entered to the (Bill.com) payment system; ensure that all monthly recurring vouchers (e.g., rent, insurance, utilities, etc.) are recorded and paid on a timely basis.
- Prepare and/or oversee the preparation of all audit reconciliations, schedules, and supporting documentation for external auditors.
- Serve as the primary liaison for the annual audit and form 990 preparation/filing
- Maintain pledges, subgrants and contracts administration systems and procedures for all incoming and outgoing pledges, subgrants and contracts.
- Maintain accounts payable and other expense reporting systems.
- Other responsibilities as assigned – including staff and cross-teams support.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting; Master’s degree or CPA is a plus.
- Minimum 6 – 10 years’ accounting experience, non-profit experience required.
- Proficient in full cycle accounting for all aspects of accounting – A/P, A/R, Payroll, GL Accounting
- Experience using Sage Intacct Accounting or similar accounting software
- Investment fund and inter-company accounting experience is a plus
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to manage within and across various teams and effectively interact with all levels of management.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to plan, prioritize and meet set deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data for completeness and prepare financial information/reports.
- Ability to adapt and commit to organizational culture, values, and norms.
- Highly proficient knowledge of GAAP and understanding of the systems of internal controls to ensure compliance with applicable standards.
- Proficient computer skills, including advanced with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- High familiarity with leveraging applicable information technology and systems to optimize workflows.