Location: Washington DC Metro area
Our client, a stable and growing non-profit is located in the DC Metro area. The Controller will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and is a critical role in the organization. The Controller has complete oversight of the finance and accounting operations of the organization. The organization’s annual revenue is $65M with nearly 300 employees in multiple offices.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following
Finance and Accounting Oversight
- Responsible for supervision and annual review of the finance department staff which includes the Grants Manager and the Cash Receipts and Disbursements Accountant.
- Ensure timely and accurate month end close which includes the following activities:
- Monthly bank reconciliation preparation
- Reconciliation and posting of investment activity into the accounting system
- Monthly Account Reconciliation Preparation for all balance sheet accounts based on the pre-determined frequency (based criticality/risk).
- Prepare annual calculation of the change in accrued vacation liability based on data maintained within the ADP system.
- Determine proper life of new fixed assets, maintain fixed asset schedule and determine and record the monthly depreciation and amortization.
- Recording reimbursements and credit card payments into the accounting system.
- Perform monthly PayPal reconciliation.
- Allocation of credit card fees.
- Process payroll based on pay schedule.
- Record payroll data into the accounting system.
- Allocate taxes and fringe benefits based on salary allocation from the timesheet module.
- Ensure count is performed annually and reconciled to the inventory records.
- Prepare general ledger entry to record Volusion activity and reconcile to the monthly third party report
- Allocate overhead based on current accounting guidance and salary allocation from the timesheet module
Tax & Financial Reporting
- Review DC Personal Property Tax Return.
- Review US unclaimed property filing(s).
- Review of all Sales and Use Tax Returns.
- Preparation of US IRS Form 990 schedules.
- Preparation of monthly financial reporting package.
Compliance & Grants
- Completion of complex audit schedules.
- Update and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures which conforms to the Uniform Grant Guidance for all federal grants and the current Generally Accepted Accounting Standards (GAAP) for all private grants.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration with a CPA certification and/or MBA highly preferred.
- 7+ years of progressive increase in responsibility in financial leadership.
- Non-profit organization experience is a plus but not required.
- A strong record as an effective, team-oriented leader and manager of people with a demonstrated ability to develop and motivate staff.
- Ability to communicate and present results to non-financial staff throughout the association.
- Strong proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required.
This role offers a comprehensive benefits package and a competitive salary.
For immediate consideration, please contact Liz Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or (843) 834-2921 or Mia Chisholm at email@example.com or (301) 996-9275.